This is one of two connected posts to introduce document generation features with Xpertdoc Smart Flows, explaining the important steps and issues faced during XperiDo to Smart Flows migration.
- Road to Smart Flows (Part 1) : Document Generation with XperiDo
- Road to Smart Flows (Part 2) : XperiDo to Smart Flows Migration
This post explains the main steps when moving to Smart Flows from XperiDo. Also, this discusses some practical issues, important information to understand during the migration.
Step 1: Get access to an Smart Flow environment/server
- A Smart Flow environment is required. (Trial environment can be requested from Xpertdoc)
- E.g. https://mydocsenv.smartflows.xpertdoc.com
- Need a username and a password to login to the Smart Flow environment.
Importing Xpertdoc Smart Flows solution files for dynamics 365 CE
- Different components from the solutions will bridges CRM with XperiDo server.
- Download both the solutions from XpertDoc and install in the CRM instance.
- Xpertdoc for Microsoft Dynamics 365 v9 Core Managed Solution 126.96.36.199
- Xpertdoc for Microsoft Dynamics 365 v9 Workflows Managed Solution 188.8.131.52
- Once the installtion is done, both XperiDo and Smart Flows solutions stay under the solutions in CRM.
Set security roles within Dynamics 365 CE
Select a user and add the Xpertdoc related roles to the user
Configure Smart Flows project console
At least one Xpertdoc project needs to be there to host all the flows, templates, data sets, connectors etc…
Connecting Xpertdoc with Dynamic 365 CE instance.
Following step will create the Smart Flow configuration record in Dynamics 365 CE if the Xpertdoc solution is found.
Import project components exported from XperiDo
This is the most important step in migration. XperiDo components have to be importable to the Smart Flows environment. Xpertdoc (support) can help to convert XperiDo projects to one importable file and zip it.
Once the zip file is received, it can be extracted and a .xpa file is included in the zip file.
- XDCrm – Prefix
- CRMFortress – Organization name given to XperiDo and it can be any thing
- ProdProject – the project with the production CRM environment
Setup MS Word Template Builder Add-in
Important steps during migration
Component import logic/sequence
When the XperiDo project file is imported to Xpertdoc, the wizard will opt the user to select Flows, Templates, Data Sets and the connectors to be imported.
If any Flow is selected, the wizard will automatically include all the templates, data sets and the connectors for the selected Flow.
The user will not see the automatically selected components below.
The logic in this import step:
Flows listed – a flow for each template you could actually generate a document on in XperiDo. Behind the scene it will also import the needed templates and data sets needed.
Templates listed – all templates where the system cannot generate a flow. Behind the scene it will also import the needed data sets needed.
Data set listed – all data sets not used by any template.
Assets are not migrated through the .xpa file.
Need to import assets manually.