What is CTI / IVR?
Computer Telephony Integration, CTI enables computer systems to interacts with the telephone system. There are two main forms of CTI which are Outbound dialing and Inbound call handling.
Interactive Voice Response, IVR is a well-known technology which allows computer systems to interact with humans through the use of voice and DTMF(Dual Tone Multi-Frequency) tones input via the keypad.
How does it work?
Simply, when a customer communicates with a customer care service using the telephone, IVR system can interact with the customer to verify information during the call. This can be Outbound or Inbound, but most organizations use IVR only for handling Inbound calls.
Different organizations use different membership (or any other) systems to maintain their members and different Telephonic\IVR systems to handle customer care calls. CTI\IVR should be able to communicate to the core (membership) system and exchange information between two systems.
If the core(membership) system is Dynamics 365, followings are the typical steps of the customer call life cycle.
- A customer calls to the customer care hotline for an inquiry.
- IVR system instructs the caller to enter\type some information regarding him or regarding his membership.
- IVR system communicates with the core\membership system to verify the responses entered\typed by the caller.
- After the caller verification process, the IVR system can redirect the call to an available customer care representative.
- IVR client software installed in customer care representatives computer will show the call.
- Depending on the call events (ringing, answering etc.), IVR client can open Dynamics 365 browser with member information (contact\account) \ new case form with populated information about the call, for the customer care representative.
Benefits of IVR
Al of the following list of benefits is general advantages of using an IVR system and not specific to Integration with Dynamics 365. But some of the benefits such as Productivity will be a critical factor when deciding to integrate an IVR solution. Dynamics 365 can be configured\customised to automate its features. e.g. According to the customer information given during the call, Dynamics can populate some fields on the case form or it can execute a workflow\action once the support person picking the call from his desktop client.
- It’s personalized
- It’s error-free
- Not everyone wants to talk to a real person
- Reduce operational costs
- It increases productivity
- Calls are resolved on the first attempt
- It increases inbound call capacity
- Some people want to talk to a real person
- It can make your company look bigger than it is
- It cuts down on answering service talk time
- It’s affordable
Following links describes benefits of using IVR;
Following IVR/CTI solutions can be integrated with Dynamics 365.
AMC Technology: https://amctechnology.com/solutions/microsoft-dynamics/
QGate’s intelli-CTi™: http://www.qgatesoftware.com/products/intelli-cti/
Feature Image: http://www.qgatesoftware.com/products/intelli-cti/
Typical IVR Scenario: https://www.talkdesk.com/blog/what-is-an-ivr-and-6-benefits-of-using-one
Benefits of IVR: https://www.talkdesk.com/blog/what-is-an-ivr-and-6-benefits-of-using-one
5 thoughts on “Dynamics 365 + CTI / IVR Integration”
Thanks for the mention Indika!
Hi Indika, this is an excellent overview! I just wanted to point out that another notable IVR + Dynamics CRM integration would include AMC Technology, which can additionally integrate chat, email, social media work orders into Dynamics … https://amctechnology.com/solutions/microsoft-dynamics/
Hi Brian, Thanks a lot for your comment. I will do a quick research on this and add this to the article. Also, I don’t hesitate to write a separate article on AMC Technology if I impressed.
Hi Indika…. great blog. Just a small correction. I have worked with Intelli-CTI software and have done integration with couple of our clients with Dynamics CRM/NAV. They don’t have an IVR solution. It’s just a normal CTI solution but works very well with Dynamics 365 or CRM Online.
Hi Austin, Thanks a lot for your correction. Just updated the content.